School History

History

In 1866, land was purchased for the West Dubuque School, which would become the first of four Irving School buildings. The exact location of this school is uncertain, but it has been said that the building was located across the street from where Westminster Church now stands. This two-room structure was destroyed by fire in 1880.

The second Irving School was constructed in 1881 on the site where Westminster Church is now located. This two-story building was also destroyed by fire in 1892.

The third Irving School was built that same year. In 1924, an annex was added, which was connected to the main building by an underground tunnel.

In 1951, it was decided to build a new Irving School. The site chosen for the new building was then beyond the city limits in the wide open spaces of a pasture. C. Freaman Reid was principal during this time. Enrollment continued to grow at the school, and in 1961 an addition was completed.

In the summer of 2001, the installation of an elevator was completed to make the building handicapped accessible. At that time 540 was the official student enrollment. Due to the increased enrollment and additional programs, 2 portable classrooms were constructed on the east side.

 

Irving History Photos

History-001-1880 History-002-1880 History-003-1881
1880

The Daily Herald’s news article about the fire that destroyed the 1st Irving School.

1880

A description of the 2nd Irving School as seen in the Daily Herald.

1881

The 2nd Irving School

History-004-1892 History-005-1907 History-006-1914
1892

The 2nd Irving School burns to the ground.

1907

The 3rd Irving School

1914

Irving School A Room Grammar Dept. Photo – Principal Walsh is on the right side.

History-007-1924 History-008-1924 History-009-1950
1924

The Annex added to the 3rd Irving School.

1950

A sketch of the underground tunnel students used to get from the 3rd Irving School to the Annex.

1950

The 3rd Irving School (left) and the Annex (right).

History-010-1952 History-011-1953 History-012-1953
1952

The contents of the cornerstone are determined.

1953

An arial view of the 4th (and current) Irving School and surrounding area. Notice the construction of Flora Pool and the country setting.

1953

A front view of the 4th (and current) Irving School.

History-013-1953 History-014-1953
1953

A rear view of the 4th (and current) Irving School.

1953

A name is chosen for the 4th (and current) Irving School.

 

Timeline

1866 West Dubuque School Built (1st Irving) at the corner of University Avenue and Irving Street
Land was purchased from Mr. Bush for $500.00
2 room frame building with 2 teachers
School had a capacity of 120 students
1867 School Opened with 52 Students
1875 15 minute recess was introduced
1880 December 1 – West Dubuque School Burned (1st Irving)
1881 January 3 – Building rented and children back in school
West Dubuque School Built (2nd Irving)
1883 Teacher/Pupil ratio 1 to 54
1884 Slate blackboards installed on a trial basis
1890 56 students at beginning of year
78 students at end of year
Fire escapes added to all schools 3 stories high
1892 77 students
2nd Irving School destroyed by fire
3rd Irving School built ($17,404) by G. S. Weaver
1894 Kindergarten classes began
1895 Water pails banished, replaced with running water
1905 Schools were fumigated 1 or 2 times per week for Diptheria and Scarlet Fever
1915 Irving PTA founded
1916 April 7 – First Irving PTA meeting
Dental inspections began
1920 District planned to1866 build a junior high – Irving would become K-6
1922 PTA became affiliated with State and National PTA
Married women could not be hired to teach
1924 Annex to 3rd Irving (4 rooms and a gym)
Annex connected to the other building by an underground tunnel
1932 Library established at 3rd Irving
1940 March 18 – Grading and driveway started at 3rd Irving
1942 Air Raid drills started
1943 School delayed 1 month due to Polio outbreak
1947 Fire escape added to 3rd Irving
1949 9.3 acres purchased for new school
1950 374 students
14 teachers
50,000 population of Dubuque
1951 Cornerstone laid at New Irving – property outside of city limits
1952 July 1 – 3rd Irving School sold for $46,052
1953 4th Irving School completed
1954 464 students
15 teachers
410 PTA members
56,100 population of Dubuque
1955 472 students
15 teachers
454 PTA members
55,000 population of Dubuque
1956 498 students
15 teachers
457 PTA members
57,910 population of Dubuque
Irving School Safety Patrol started (just boys)
1957 570 students
16 teachers
506 PTA members
57,910 population of Dubuque
Polio shots required
1958 Classrooms crowded
Kindergarten in lunchroom
Lunchroom in the halls
643 students
18 teachers
473 PTA members
57,190 population of Dubuque
1959 685 students
21 teachers
534 PTA members
Bond Issue passed for 5 rooms to be added to Irving School
1960 800 students
23 teschers
626 PTA members
Ground breaking for addition
1960 874 students
24 teachers
655 PTA members
1962  921 students
24 teachers
722 PTA members
Entrance blacktopped
 1963 981 students
25 teachers
772 PTA members
1969 655 students
1970 926 students
Shared time began
Portable classrooms added
Learning Center opened
1971 867 students
1972 869 students
1973 830 students
1974 782 Students
1975 660 students
Stop lights in front of school on Pennsylvania Avenue installed.
Girls allowed to be patrol members
1976 591 students
Last year for shared time
Bicentennial – time capsule buried in basement
1977 611 students
1978 607 students
Energy efficient windows installed
1979 592 students
1980 527 students
Flourescent lights installed
1981 554 students
1982 562 students
1983 526 students
1984 431 students
Wooden playground equipment installed
1985 441 students
Security system installed
1986 451 students
May 4 – Irving School Reunion, “Homecoming ’86 – Pride in Dubuque”
1987 445 students
Apple IIe computer lab in place
1988 466 students
1989 511 students
1990 545 students
1991 587 students
1992 552 students
1993 546 students
1994 518 students
1995 539 students
1996 513 students
1997 522 students
1998 509 students
Whole school wired for the District’s computer network
1999 522 students
National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence Awarded
TV/VCR installed in every classroom
Security camera system installed
2000 538 students
1976 Time Capsule opened, displayed, items added, and resealed
Elevator installed
2001 540 students
FINE Recognition Award
All-Day-Every-Day Kindergarten started
2 portable classrooms added on the east side of the building
2002 571 students
Phones installed in every classroom
2010 526 students
New addition on south side of building is completed – LRC, computer lab, lunchroom
2011 541 students
Preschool started
2012 536 students
2013 572 students
2014 532 students
2nd Computer Lab added to LRC
2015 516 students
Interactive Projectors installed in every general education classroom
7 laptop computers added to each classroom in grades 2-5
2016 573 students
New bus zone and parking lot added on the east side of the building
5 iPads added to each classroom in grades PK-1

 

 

Irving School – List of Principals

1864 – 1872 Jeannie M. Carter
1872 – 1873 M. D. Adams
1874 – 1876 Missourea A. Frost
1876 – 1877 W. S. Palmer
1877 – 1878 W. J. Shoup
1878 – 1914 J. M. Walsh
1884 – 1885 Joseph Needham
1906 – 1908 Brenton Benson
1915 – 1939 Sadie Luke
1939 – 1940 Grace Ryan
1940 – 1949 Elsa Schroeder
1949 – 1967 C. Freaman Reid
1967 – 1981 William Watters
1981 – 1991 Ben Temple
1991 – 1994 Jerome Greer
1994 – 2003 Barb Schoenauer
2003 – 2008 Cynthia Steffens
2008 – 2011 principal-maloney

Joe Maloney

2011 – present principal-Susan

Susan Meehan